Sunday, September 5, 2010

Green by Ted Deker

The first book I ever read by Ted Dekker was Black - the first book in his circle trilogy and, even more so, the beginning of a unique universe where the future mingles with the past and where evil and goodness meet.

When I discovered that Dekker would be writing a fourth book directly related to the Circle Trilogy, I was anxious for its release. The ending to White (the last in the trilogy) was a satisfying conclusion, but at the same time I was left wanting more. Along the way, Deker dropped hints in his other books suggesting that life went on for Thomas Hunter, the book's protagonist. Green did not totally disappoint.

The story starts off slow in my opinion. However, Dekker states that all of his books can be read in any order. When one considers that this may be the first book one reads of Thomas Hunter, then I suppose the start does a nice job of presenting characters and back story. For those already immersed in the history, it may not get off to the quick start you're hoping for.

The story is full of the actions sequences and world (or is it time) hopping that were staples in the previous novels. Dekker also does a nice job of answering questions that we left hanging at the conclusion of White. What became of both the worlds? Did Justin ever return? What became of the Forest Guard and their battle against the Horde? In which world did Thomas really belong?

I know many people who were on the fence about this book and I can understand why. While this book is well written and full of that Dekker-esque mystery, it just lacked something. As I mentioned, I've found that those who have already been through the trilogy as well as the other related books (Showdown, House, Skin, The Lost Books, Sinner, Saint, etc) did not enjoy this book as much as the others. The ending, while great and something I definitely didn't see coming, left something to be desired. Especially when compared to White's conclusion - there were questions yes...but it really stemmed from a desire of wanting the story to continue. I believe if I had read Green before any of the other books, I would have felt differently.

I'd rate this book 3/5 for returning Circle fans and 4/5 for newcomers.

No comments: